Are you interested in seeing a shoal of piranhas up close and personal without putting yourself in danger? If so, add one of these five aquariums to your bucket list. They feature some of the coolest piranha exhibits in the world!
1. New York Aquarium – The New York Aquarium is located in Brooklyn and it is one of the oldest continually operating aquariums in the United States. The facility occupies 14 acres on Coney Island and boasts over 350 species of aquatic life, including piranhas. Anyone over the age of three will have to pay an $11.95 admission price; United States military may visit the aquarium for free.
2. The Blue Planet – The Blue Planet is an enormous aquarium in Copenhagen, Denmark. This aquarium has space for more than 20,000 fish and marine animals in 53 tanks divided up into different geographies. This means you can visit anywhere from the Faroe Islands to the Amazon and see all types of sharks, rays, sea lions, puffins, and the largest school of piranha’s housed in all of Europe.
3. Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium – Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is the only combined aquarium and zoo in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. It is the second largest attraction in the state of Washington (Mt. Rainier being the first) and features everything from camel rides and eye-to-eye shark dives to sting ray petting and an impressive piranha habitat.
4. Istanbul Sea Life Aquarium (or Turkuazoo) – The Istanbul Sea Life Aquarium opened in 2009 and is Turkey’s first giant aquarium and one of the largest aquariums in all of Europe. Also known as Turkuazoo, the aquarium boasts and 80 meter long underwater tunnel and almost 10,000 sea creatures. The most notable of these creatures include giant stingrays, tiger sharks, and piranhas in over 29 different exhibits.
5. The Georgia Aquarium – The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia is the largest aquarium in the world. It is home to over 100,000 sea creatures and it is the only aquarium outside of Asia that houses whale sharks. It is also home to one of the best (if not the best) piranha exhibits in the world. The exhibit features both Red and Black Spot Piranhas.
Piranha aquariums aren’t easy to find because piranhas aren’t always a popular fish to house in an aquarium. But, the aquariums that choose to do so end up with some of the most beautiful and terrifying exhibits on the planet. Are you ready to go see one?
When you have a sec, check out our FUN STUFF section for other interesting piranha-related thingamajigs (or is the politically-correct word thingamabobs?) like merchandise, games, etc. I’ll keep adding more in the upcoming months. Also, you can sign up for our NEWSLETTER to keep up-to-date on the latest information about our friendly neighborhood tough guys. PiranhaGuy Out.